Home Culture Starting a Hospitality Business? What WHS Documents Do You Need?

Starting a Hospitality Business? What WHS Documents Do You Need?


Published: December 29, 2023

If you are planning to start a hospitality business in Australia, you need to be aware of the WHS (Work Health and Safety) documents that are required by law.

These documents include:

  • A WHS policy that outlines your commitment to providing a safe and healthy workplace for your workers, customers and visitors.
  • A WHS management plan that describes how you will implement, monitor and review your WHS policy and procedures.
  • A risk assessment that identifies the hazards and risks in your workplace and the control measures you will take to eliminate or minimise them.
  • A safe work method statement (SWMS) that details the steps, hazards and controls for each high-risk activity or task in your business.
  • A training register that records the WHS training and induction provided to your workers and contractors.
  • An incident report form that allows you to record and investigate any work-related injuries, illnesses or near misses.
  • An emergency plan that specifies the roles and responsibilities of your workers and the actions to take in case of an emergency.


These documents are essential for ensuring the safety and well-being of everyone involved in your hospitality business. They also help you comply with the WHS laws and regulations in Australia and avoid penalties or legal actions. You can find more information and templates for these documents on the Safe Work Australia website or consult a WHS professional for advice.

ASIC Business Registration
Australian National Business Support
Register, renew and manage your ASIC registered business names fast and easy through our government integrated platforms